The Mystic Forest Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home Of The Falling Dragons

HomeChatLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Twilight Thread

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

The Twilight Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 9:18 pm

Muhahahaha!

I'm pretty sure that everyone around here knew that sooner or later someone would have to put this thread up. I'm also pretty sure that everyone is surprised that I'm the one to put it up. If you go into the chatbox frequently, then you will know that my opinions on the Twilight series tends to vary. I like some aspects of it, but I absolutely hate other parts of it. And I am not afraid to let that be known. As many of you know The Twilight Thread 45816

This is a discussion thread. It is neither a fan thread nor an anti thread. If you love Twilight, feel free to put it in here. If you absolutely despise Twilight and Stephenie Meyer for putting it on this planet, then feel free to put it here. This is just a thread to talk about what you think about Twilight.

Twilight is being considered by many one of the most influencial books of the decade, and has been put on many summer reading lists. I would just like to know everyone's opinion.

Do you believe that Twilight has helped to revolutionize vampires in fiction?
Do you think that it has a strong story line and is a good read that you would recommend to a friend?
Do you think that the Twilight series has replaced Harry Potter?

Like I said before, this is just a discussion thread. I'd love to hear your opinions.

And fyi, I love to argue. Especially about Twilight. You have been warned.
Back to top Go down
moonangel
Christmas Wreath
moonangel

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 6:45 pm

I like twilight, though the movie does irritate me. At least the first movir does. *Can't judge the others yet*
I do not believe it has replaced Harry Potter. I would know because I don't like the harry potter books, and so if twilight had replaced harry potter, I wouldn't like the twilight books. And the harry potter movies are actually good, but I don't like the twilight movie.
I don't think Twilight had revolutionized vampires, because I already think they're pretty cool. They just out a new twist on vampires.
If I could find a friend that hasn't already read the twlight series, yes, I would recommend them reading it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 6:52 pm

What would you think of Twilight compared to, say, the House of the Night vampire series?
Back to top Go down
moonangel
Christmas Wreath
moonangel

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 11:46 am

Hmm. Well, I think I like the house of night series a bit more, truthfully. More stuff going on, and none of the characters are as 'poor me' as bella was.
Back to top Go down
Sergeant Sassy ;D
Stocking Full of Goodies
Sergeant Sassy ;D

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Kay... So for Twilight:

I am totally a Jacob friend. I used to die for vampires, but now I'm definitely a wolf girl too. I like the series a lot, but I would've punched Bella in the mouth so many times. Jessica too. Manipulative little bitch... >> Anywho, I'd definitely recomend this to a friend, if my friends weren't already through the series as well.

And House of Night totally kicks Twilight's ass. I love it so much more and am totally jazzed for the next one.
Back to top Go down
http://miss0britt.chatango.com

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 4:14 pm

What is your opinion on the main character, Bella Swan?

Like a lot of people, Bella is one of my least favorite characters. She seems like a younger version of the author, Stephenie Meyer. Bella cooks and cleans for her father, just as Smeyer, who is a housemaker, does for her family. Mrs. Meyer also writes Bella off as being perfect, even though she tries to make Bella seem like an ordinary girl.

In the first book, Bella gloats several times that up in Pheonix she had already read the whole reading list that the Forks high school had given her, and that she was already ahead of all of the other students in biology. Because of this, it is not convincing at all in Breaking Dawn when Eric is made the Valedictorain.

When she is transformed into a vampire, she is once again made into a Mary Sue. She is described by Edward as being the most graceful vampire he has ever seen, a small joke done by Smeyer due to Bella's clutziness as a human.

Aside from being an anti-feminist, Mary Sue character, Bella is overall clingy, codependent, and over obsessive over shiny objects, ie: Edward.

Comments?
Back to top Go down
LonelyWolf
Admin
LonelyWolf

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:37 am

Alright first off : Angela you sound like an interviewer. Or a critic maybe that could be a possible job for you in the future.

Anyways

I think Bella is, in a way, an ordinary person. Now I can't speak on how girls act or anything but I can somewhat explain it in a nude way. Bella seems to have that normal " Flaw" she sees in the mirror as anyone else does. She sells herself shortwith her looks and clumsiness but when it comes to smarts and books, she is all over it. Someone has to excel at something.

If one was to look a an average person they could see that everyone has flaws. Bella is an interesting charater because she is always bashed around as a whiny incompitant person. Now look at yourself in the mirror can you find at least 3 things that you think is a flaw about you? And then can you find 3 things that are good about you? Bella is interesting in the fact that she's not the typical glorified herione as in say Hermione Granger in Harry Potter. Hermione is described as a know it all with brown bushy hair and Big front teeth. But as the seris progresses Hermione looses her big front teeth, she learns all the girly ways into womanhood and hooks up with someone *spoiler won't say*. Now Bella on the other hand describes herself Not pretty ( Not true since the boys at school are all over her like dogs in heat) and clumsy which this is in Bella's point of view and you don't really know if that could be taken as soild proof like in Catcher in the Rye, Holden told his story in first person point of view and he turned out ot be mentally unstable so you start to question wiether or not these things happened and how much of the truth is he telling since in the book he does tell quite a few lies. Now knowning that could you gut out the twilight book and peice together what is bella and what is not bella. Getting clues on other charater's reactions and how they talk to Bella is a better way of finding out who she really is.

This is what makes first person point of view fun. You can't always trust what the teller is saying.

Now in my opinion I think Bella is actually the average person. She certainly has the teenage angst and finding flaws in herself. Even in the beigining she wishes she was more tan and the volly ball type girl. Now all girls and guys wish they were someone else because they had something they want be it looks, money, or relationship. And we all are good at something and I know some of us tend to gloat bout what we're so good at to make us feel better.

I like twilight but it is good for what it is. And it is certainly interesting trying to read in between the lines of the story because so much could be implied.

But I'm not saying its the best novel in the world and God should marry it. Cause its not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 5:26 pm

You are talking B.E (before Edward.) And even before Edward, she wasn't a very likeable character. She was very snotty (even though she kept her thoughts to herself), thinking herself better than the people of Forks because she came from a big city like Pheonix. Admittedly, though, regular girls can be braggy, stuck up, crotchety bitches.

However, A.E (after Edward), she becomes incredibly codependent and clingy. That is supposed to be ground breaking, Earth shattering love? No. It is a horny teenage girl who seems to have an obsession with a cold, hard, sparkly vampire touching her face.

If Bella wants something cold, hard and shiny, then she should freeze a dildo and then cover it in glitter. There. At least than she won't have to hear "We shouldn't be friends." every two seconds.
Back to top Go down
LonelyWolf
Admin
LonelyWolf

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 9:08 am

Alright, B.E. indeed she wasn't a very likable character but then thats what make her a person doesn't it. Not everyone is going to like someone. Betty may like Sally but Sally doesn't like Mary Sue who is friends with Betty. C'est Ca.
And with her being snotty and stuck up bout Forks and thinking they're a bunch of hicks, lets face it in real life we do it too. We think t hat way. Alot of people think that other people from West Virginia are hicks and we do act stuck up when we think we're better than average Joe. Its the cruel fact of life.

A.E yes she becomes clingy but thats because its her first time falling in love. I hate to say this but even I am clingy and codependant. It is a teenage thing. And when you get older you'll start to realize some of these factors play in every relationship. Some guys are really clingy or some girls are really clingy. And Edward is a vampire, need I remind you. This is a fantasy romance novel. Its supposed to be a little far fetched. It is what it is. You don't expect Frodo to come running through your back yard carring a ring of power.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:03 am

I don't think that people from West Virginnia are hicks.

And aside from Bella, Edward is also another incredibly flawed character. Admittedly he has more substance to him then Bella, but Smeyer overdid it completely with the whole tortured soul thing. I understand that he is afraid of hurting her, but he can't make a choice and then keep taking it back. In the end he chose that he wanted to be with Bella. Well, that's fine and dandy for him. It is not fine that even after he says he'll be with her, he still threatens to leave several times.

When he leaves in the second novel, it is because of him that Bella goes through a mental depression. Not to mention, I never fully understood why he left. It was only a papercut, and Jasper was sorry for it. He acted like a complete pansy and turned a mountain into a mole hill.

Edward is also abusive. When he left, he took everything that she owned that would remind her of either him or the Cullen's. That is not right. It is one thing for him to just leave and it is another thing completely when he chooses how she is going to get over his leaving. People handle things differently, and it isn't fair of him to force her to get over it his way.

There is also the fact that Edward treats Bella like more of a child than a love interest. He's always pulling her into his lap and telling her what not to do. The only time when he doesn't treat her like a child is the few times where he finds it fit to spontaneously make out. Lovely. So she went from being a side dish to being a sex toy. You're a real charming man, Edward!
Back to top Go down
LonelyWolf
Admin
LonelyWolf

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:12 am

Edward does act childish but he also is a 17 year old as well. He never got the mature hormones as one would get when they turn into adults or at least you hope people get when they become adults.

Plus one could find the teenage depresson in Edward that some teens go through in life. They worry bout not be accepted and being the black sheep in the highschool. Edward persay isn't afraid of acceptance from the highschool standards but he's worried bout Bella's acceptance of him.

He's not prince charming and I don't think Meyer percived him to be that way. The book is, need I restate, a fantasy romance. Its supposed to be stretched because if everything was perfect in the book then we wouldn't have this thread no would we and everyone would be happy in the world. Lord of the Rings isn't everyone's favorite book. Some people think its the most boring book in the world yet others think its like God write it himself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:29 am

Edward is also an incredibly confusing character. In the third book he fits with Bella to keep her away from Jacob who is her best friend. This is also another sign of him treating her like a child and telling her what to do. Anyway, before I get passed what I was trying to say, it is obvious that their is some sexual tension between Bella and Jacob, even though Bella, being the twit she is, deson't want to admit it.

If Edward is supposed to be like any other teenager, than why isn't he jealous? You would have to be a real spineless man to be alright with your girlfriend, who is also supposedly your seraph come down from heaven, your true love, the person who you've been waiting for your whole life, wanting to kiss another guy. And even when she does kiss Jacob (Woot, Jacob! You go, boy! :3) he isn't even upset with her. And it's not like Jacob forced it this time. She was willing and then some.

Why other girls find him attractive, I do not know. He is stubborn, abusive, chauvenistic, and incredibly confusing.
Back to top Go down
LonelyWolf
Admin
LonelyWolf

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:31 am

Opposites attract I suppose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:34 am

Opposites attract? Hah! It's like when Gary Stu met Mary Sue.
Back to top Go down
moonangel
Christmas Wreath
moonangel

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 4:35 pm

I think they're perfect for eachother, really. People that are clingy often need someone that can tell them what to do. Bella always seems to do the wrong things and so he's good for her.
As for Edward's mood swing and the whole tortured soul thing, that's why he needs bella. It's like he needs someone to need him.
They both have their good attributes and bad ones, but everyone has those, and so I don't see it as that big of a deal really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Twilight Thread   The Twilight Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Twilight Thread
Page 1 of 1